Job Title: Senior Test Analyst
Reporting to: Consulting Practice Lead
Practice: IBA /QAC
High Level Role Overview
As a member of the IBA / QAC Consulting Resource Pool, reporting to a Test Lead, Test Manager or Portfolio Test Manager, the Senior Test Analyst analyses requirements and system design documents in order to plan, prepare and execute testing, raise defects where appropriate and complete testing of the systems under test. This will be done at a number of different test levels including System test, where they will be expected to perform all test duties. They will also assist with User and Operational Acceptance testing where they will be expected to provide a “wraparound” service, responsible for ensuring that formal testing is executed in accordance with agreed standards.
The Senior Test Analyst is accountable for:
Leading Test Execution – By acting as the first point of contact for the test analysts on the project, leading test execution within a test phase and monitoring and reporting on progress towards completion.
Translating Requirements into Test Cases – Conducting static analysis of requirements to confirm their testability, performing risk analysis to prioritise the execution of testing and working closely with interested parties to ensure the successful delivery of test cases, test scripts and test plans. This will include both ensuring that traceability of test artefacts has been maintained, and will often include the mentoring of more junior members of the team in preparing these artefacts.
Specifying and Preparing Test Data – Deploying both manual and automated methods to create suitable test data based on an understanding of the needs of test cases and analysis of the functionality under test.
Test Execution – Executing test cases, recording the results accurately, selecting and retaining appropriate evidence of the success or failure of test cases in a test management system and mentoring more junior members of the team. This may also involve the application of exploratory and experience based techniques in order to uncover defects not disclosed by structured techniques.
Logging Defects and Defect Management – Logging and maintaining defects in a defect tracking system, including the gathering of suitable evidence to support defect reports, tracking defects to their resolution and providing analyses of the current state of defect resolution.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities of the Role
- • Integrating fully into our clients work stream, liaising with the developers, architects, business users, Build and Run stakeholders to gain a full understanding of the work stream delivery goals and business needs that are being met.
- • Undertaking a static review of functional requirements to ensure that they meet testability criteria
- • Performing risk assessments of requirements to ensure that test preparation and execution activities are correctly prioritised.
- • Working closely with the Test Enablement Manager to specify and create test data to support all testing activities.
- • Creation and execution of system testing to ensure it performs in line with functional and non-functional design specifications, adheres to strict governance frameworks and is completed within project deadlines.
- • Working closely with end users to define test cases, test scripts and test plans for user acceptance testing while ensuring adherence to all governance standards and testing frameworks.
- • Providing support to end users during user acceptance testing ensuring it is done in line with governance and project deadlines.
- • Monitoring testing progress, ensuring that execution proceeds according to plan and that testing deliverables are produced in a timely manner.
- • Ensuring that test artefacts are documented and tracked to an appropriate standard and are retained in an appropriate test management tool.
- • Ensuring that test execution of test scripts includes proof of success or a defect in the case of failure.
- • Consistently evaluating the overall quality of the testing activities.
- • Applying best quality practices.
- • Working with delivery teams to ensure that the quality of deliverables created at each stage of the SDLC is in line with standards and policies.
- • Gathering data relating to and reporting on the effectiveness of technology assurance efforts in their portfolio of projects.
- • Promoting continuous improvement and making recommendations where appropriate to ensure continuous service delivery across multiple work streams.
- • Identifying and communicating risks and issues that represent a threat to test timescales and quality.
- • Ensuring that risks and issues are clearly documented and are understood by the business and colleagues in the test practice.
- • Taking any necessary preventative measures where possible, to ensure that risks that represent a threat to testing timescales and quality, do not become issues.
- • Managing stakeholder expectations around deliverables.
- • Updating stakeholders on a regular basis on the status of deliverables.
- • Mentoring fellow Senior Test Analysts and Test Analysts where appropriate, to ensure that standards are adhered to.
- • Deputises for Test Lead where appropriate.
Skills / Experience
Technical – Essential
- • Extensive experience of a range of software testing types including functional, non-functional, regression, integration, UAT and OAT.
- • Extensive experience of static and dynamic test techniques.
- • Extensive experience of test scripting based on requirements and system design documents.
- • Extensive experience of test execution, including evidence capture.
- • Extensive experience of defect management.
- • Extensive experience of software testing covering the complete project life-cycle, in a structured environment (both iterative/agile and waterfall).
- • Experience of risk analysis and Risk Based software testing.
- • Experience of exploratory software testing and techniques.
- • Experience of automated software testing tools such as QTP, Rational Functional Tester, Selenium, Silk Test or Microsoft tools.
- • Experience of software testing complex user interfaces and GUI applications.
- • Experience of defect management and test management tools.
- • Experience of the Microsoft Office toolset (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- • Knowledge of test data provisioning and management.
- • Knowledge of databases (e.g. tables, constraints, SQL).
Technical – Desirable
- • Experience of software testing banking systems and applications.
- • Knowledge of software architecture technologies such as XBRL, HTML, VB, .NET, XML, Java, Web Services, SOA, SOAP, Unix/Linux, SAP, Oracle, SQL and SharePoint.
- • Experience of software testing in web based applications.
- • A general appreciation of the Banking and Insurance industry.
- • A high level understanding of the business function relating to the system under test.
- • Occasionally, there may be a need to understand complex business processes involving the complex interaction of a number of systems.
- • Strong attention to detail.
- • Meticulous, with the ability to capture technical detail accurately.
- • Strong analytical and facilitation skills to ensure that business needs and effective solutions for their delivery can be clearly and rapidly elicited and delivered.
- • Strong ability to leverage both personal and experience and a detailed knowledge of the fundamentals of software testing to provide creative solutions to complex problems.
- • Articulate, assertive and persuasive, with the ability to adapt their communication style and approach, and to select the most appropriate communication channels, to meet the needs of their audience.
- • Ability to apply excellent verbal and written communication skills to support effective communication with all project stakeholders.
- • Ability to build effective senior stakeholder relationships up to and including project manager level.
- • Prepared to chase individuals for information.
- • Highly productive, with excellent time management skills.
- • Able to work to deadlines, achieving results under time pressure without compromising quality.
- • Resilient in the face of challenges.
- • ISTQB / ISQI / ISEB Foundation Level qualification.
- • Experience of Waterfall methodologies.
- • ISEB Intermediate level qualification or demonstration of the equivalent level of knowledge gained through experience.
- • Certification in or experience of any of the following:
- o ITIL 2007 / 2011.
- o Agile Methodologies.
- o PRINCE2.