As RED and BLUE teaming is such a large topic, I have decided to split this SQA article into six-parts over the next six weeks.
- What is a Red Team
- What is a Blue Team
- Top 5 Red and Blue Team skills
- Do I need a Red and Blue team for my company
- Test, Test, Test again
What is a “Blue team”?
A Blue team is similar to a Red team, as they need to understand network security, have the right skills and identify vulnerable systems.
What makes a Blue team different is that once the Red team launches an attack, the Blue team is there to find ways to defend, change and carry out the effective incident response.
An effective Blue team needs to be aware of the same malicious tactics and techniques in order to build response strategies. However, they need to continuously strengthen digital systems, using various applications, tools, and techniques that provide them with an ongoing analysis of unusual and suspicious activity.
A Blue team will have many different roles and responsibilities; the main points being:
- Monitoring and alerting; centrally collect and manage logs from host-based systems and network device.
- Intelligence Analyses; the ability to understand incidents and build a picture of an attacker (Diamond Model)
- Incident Response; to effectively manage a post cyber or data breach, in order to limit damage to the system(s) and understand what has happened.
- Threat Hunting; finding malicious activity across the network and better understand the advisory.
- Digital Forensics; consists of three main stages, acquisition (imaging), analysis and reporting.
- Operational Security; keeping systems secure and compliant to company security policies, while maintaining business systems uptime, adhering to change control and direction for business senior leadership.
Like a Red Team, the Blue Team must have the ability to practice and enhance defence procedures and systems. It can not be set up and forget, cybersecurity is a continuously changing beast and the defenders must adapt as quickly.
Contact SQA on how we can assist you to develop and test your Blue team function.